Death the hero: Why the premature demise can have his charm

Death and video games - can that match? So "death" is not in the form of "I'm killed by the enemy and must start again at the checkpoint", but the final story death of main characters. Is the cool in a medium that is actually designed for fun? I say: In any case! But only if it fits the clay of history and the corresponding character is so well constructed that his end really touches. What I understand underneath, I explain to you here.

The following article contains story spoilers at different games. Since the naming of the titles would be a spoiler, we waive it.

Please no overneed

Clearly I play video games to relax and switch off, but also to experience great stories. I deliberately write about "experiencing" because for me there is a difference to films or books that I am only passive observer.

I am particularly invested in the stories, when I fed with the characters, because they are really feeling \ - and that's just given when I feel it, it counts because I'm not with inviolable, Immortal superheroors and heroes have to do. The tension factor increases and I will automatically empathy for a character when I know, he or she is not sure and above all.

Red - and especially dead - redemption

Red Dead Redemption I've played a little late, was the Last of Us the second game that has really blew me with his story. Even if the crazy moments of the plot have often laughed me laugh, I perceived from the beginning of the ominous undertone of history and constantly asked me: "Become the ...? Will he ..." Can the real ...? "

When it was so far, John's death really hit me after the nasty betrayal of the federal agents, but at the same time felt coherently. One too cheesy Happy End just did not fit this western gangster story.

{Img1}

Samara Summer @ Also_im_winter Samara can always inspire for good stories with strong characters, no matter if it is video games, books or series. Even if you always want a good outcome for sympathetic figures, it finds that the bitter ends often last longer. Red Dead Redemption and Resident Evil are among their favorite gaming. She has a clear opinion, which series knows better with hero dot.

Second round

A little more drastic was then with Arthur in RDR2 . When the hero of the game infected with tuberculosis, that was his death sentence. That was perfectly clear to me because I know the disease on the one of many stories concerning this time and because I already knew Rockstar does not scatter with protagonists.

I have to say: to play a very clear character and see how problematic other figures in the game deal with him - sometimes compassion, sometimes condescending to hostile - did not make me thoughtful. When the death of Arthurs Horse as a harbinger of his own death, I had a lump in the throat - and when Arthur then found a peaceful end to a mountain slope, I was relieved. Bitter but not too bitter.

But…

These dramatic final scenes only work because I have learned the two characters in the game and I just like to travel with them. Because I know, I would have started with you again.

At Resident Evil 8, Ethans Heldentod, for example, let me quite cold. Do not misunderstand me: I love the game. That was just not about Ethan, who was just this type of ancient superhero I mentioned before. Even if there was a more or less conclusive reason.

Generally, I can stick to me: Yes, if the quality of history and figures fits, I also guess the bitter ends. They halls longer. But that does not always have to be and does not fit every story.

What kind of end do you prefer? A happy end for the protagonist or the protagonist or may you like the melancholy sounds?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOL - Worlds: This is the private aircraft of 20,000 dollars the time that Riot rented for LCK and LPL

FIFA 22: Develop four new OTW Premier League cards